Surrender, Listen and Give

Surrender, Listen and Give Contact at Contact@FollowThyHeart.Org

Blog Archive

Saturday, March 29, 2008

What is the right way to remember past?

What is the right way to remember past, which is so different from present?

When I was about 13 year old, I had a one year old cute little boy in my neighborhood. He almost grew up in my arms. I would get him my home, dance with him, feed him, laugh with him and teach him new actions. I simply loved him. I still remember those joyful moments spent with him.

Recently, when I visited India, I went back to my old neighborhood and to meet him. But when I saw him, I was extremely disappointed. He turned out to be not a gentleman. I just could not stand him, even for a few minutes; when I was wishfully planning to talk to him about those sweet-old days.

I came home confused. Then I meditated.

I realized that I was confused and upset because, I was linking his two pictures; the 1 year old cute boy and 27 year old repulsive man. I saw that with time and circumstances, he had grown far away from what I had expected. The only thing common between them was the name.

I realized that Life happens-it is not right or wrong. There is nothing wrong in continuing to remember him as a lovable 1 year old boy, even if I did not like him as a 27 year old man. They are two independent people, linked only with a name.

Perhaps, if I had liked him as a 27 year old man, may be I would have talked to him and stayed in touch; knowing very well that it would have also been totally different from his 1 year old picture.

So the problem was my attachment to his 1 year old picture and extrapolating it in a wishful direction.

WHEREAS, THE TRUTH IS PAST IS PAST. TO ENJOY IT, I SHOULD REVISIT IT LIKE GOING THROUGH AN OLD PHOTO ALBUM, WITHOUT EXPECTING RELATIONSHIPS/PEOPLE TO FREEZE IN TIME; OR EXPECTING THEM TO GROW ONLY IN A CERTAIN WISHFUL DIRECTION. I NEED TO “LET GO” OF THAT ATTACHMENT WITH MY PAST AND SIMPLY CHERISH THOSE MOMENTS.

Past is past and present is present; they cannot be linked or stretched. Each one of them is perfect in its own place.

No comments: