Surrender, Listen and Give

Surrender, Listen and Give Contact at Contact@FollowThyHeart.Org

Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How do I stay calm after seeing wounded people?

The other day, I woke up with a "horror thought". I saw a friend with his legs chopped off. Then later, during the day I saw a teenager with his badly wounded hand in a car accident. My peace of mind was gone. During meditation, I asked, how do I stay calm during/after seeing badly wounded people?


I realized that this had two parts. One is the visible physical injury (as a thought/reality) and second is the attachment to people around me.

I realized that just as I admire God's work while looking at the red-colored tulip. Similarly I need to remember, God while looking at a badly injured person. I do understand that I should remember Him equally during my health and injury, fun and pain, good time and bad time, riches or poverty, loved or hated times. Similarly, when it comes to sights around me, just as I think of God while looking at that fresh tulip, I should think of Him while looking at the sight of a terrible injury. That is the right way. All is His work, His grace. I may or may not like it, but that is the big truth.

It is harder to look at these sights, especially if I am attached to the person; but once again. We are all His; nobody is mine. We are together like those logs of wood drifting down the stream, sometimes we are together, sometimes we are apart and we may/may not meet again. One gets injury (whenever) because of his own Karmas. I may not be able to change that, but I can definitely empathize and hug him; give him God's love.

So detachment to people and constant remembrance of God (seeing Him in everything) did help me calm down after seeing those frightful scene(s).

No comments: