Surrender, Listen and Give

Surrender, Listen and Give Contact at Contact@FollowThyHeart.Org

Blog Archive

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Thinking about Amma (prayer + audio)

WARNING TO READERS

I am hoping that you will read this with an open heart and a closed mind. If you can't do it, please don't read any further. Please STOP now and move out of this window.

***
ABOUT THIS POEM

This is the first ever love poem that has come through me. I take pride in sharing it with you.

I have been singing the first line of this poem for over three weeks, ever since I met Amma on June 7th, 2008 (as described in a writing at http://surrenderlistenandgive.blogspot.com/2008/06/embracing-ammas-love.html). However, the rest of the poem poured out (last week) from my heart while driving alone in the car, taking a solitary walk and during tearful meditations. Presently, I am experiencing a joy in singing it loud most of the time. The tune of this poem is based on the first line of the ghazal (a type of song) "Socha Nahin Achha Bura..." sung by my favorite ghazal singer Jagjit Singh. Therefore, I would like to send my heartfelt salutes to him (and his team).

Even though this poem was born after I met Amma recently, but truly speaking the word “Amma” has been implicitly used to represent “divine mother”.

Also there are words, like“Meri” (meaning My), “Pyari” (meaning Dear) and “Amma” (meaning mother) in Hindi language (my mother-tongue) which I have retained, even though their corresponding English words rhyme (and can be replaced) as well. I have done so, because each time I find myself singing this poem, I am involuntarily using the original Hindi words. In fact, sometimes when I forced myself using the corresponding English words, they just did not feel that intimate. Therefore respecting the sanctity of the original, free flowing lyrics, I chose to retain them.

I also take this as an opportunity to convey warm thanks to Harshal, Samrat, Alka and Chandana for helping in bringing together of the you tube link.

Since, I truly feel that this love poem can ONLY be assimilated by a devoted heart. Therefore, for those who have one, here is my offering, with love, "Amma, Amma".

***
To feel the devotion in this poem, please click on play button (on the picture) to listen and read the lyrics that follow. The audio starts playing after 6 seconds.



***

Please note that in the following lyrics,
"Amma or aum-ma" means divine mother,
"Meri" means my and
"Pyari" means dear.

***

THINKING ABOUT AMMA

Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.
Amma, amma, meri amma.

Plead you amma, hear me aum-ma.
Plead you amma, hear me aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.

Seek you amma, bless me aum-ma.
Seek you amma, bless me aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.

Need you amma, hug me aum-ma.
Need you amma, hug me aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.

Feel you amma, fill me aum-ma.
Feel you amma, fill me aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.

Trust you amma, take me aum-ma.
Trust you amma, take me aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.

Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Amma, aum-ma, amma, aum-ma.
Meri amma, pyari amma.
Amma, amma, meri amma.


Humbly Yours,

Gunjan

July 7th, 2008


Posted by Gunjan at 4:35 PM

1 comment:

Vidhya said...

Gunjan:
This is very nice. You should set it to a music tune as well... It'll be very nice to sing as a group too...